Tenant and Landlord Advising

Tenant Advising

The experience of being a tenant or landlord sometimes includes a few bumps in the road. Our staff and Peer Helpers are available to meet with you to talk about your rights and responsibilities as a stakeholder in the rental market. If you need information on finding a place off campus, your rights as a tenant, how to resolve a conflict with your housemates or landlord, or how to exit your lease early, we can guide you in the right direction.

Manager, Off-Campus Living

Hi, my name is Kathryn Hofer and I have been advising students and landlords on tenant-landlord rights since 2003.  Since coming to Guelph, I have had the experience of being a student renter, a home owner, and the owner of a rental home with student tenants.  I advise on finding a place, tenant-landlord rights, the Residential Tenancies Act, and trends in the student rental market in Guelph. 

Off-Campus Living Peer Helpers

Our Off-Campus Living Peer Helper team includes 5 student Peer Helpers who are here to provide tenant consultations.  Our Peer Helpers are trained in providing guidance on finding a rental place in Guelph, as well as reviewing your tenant rights case, identifying the key issues, discussing next steps based on the Residential Tenancies Act, and providing referrals as needed.

Our Office Hours

  • Our office hours are on a drop-in basis.  You can visit the Off-Campus Living office on the main floor of the University Centre (beside the Information Desk) to find a Peer Helper on shift.

If drop-in doesn't work for you, you can also email our Off-Campus Living team at ocl@uoguelph.ca to ask a question, or email Kathryn at khofer@uoguelph.ca to set up an appointment that fits your schedule.