First Year Student Financial Check-List
Many students and their families find that university life costs more than they had anticipated. Students are highly encouraged to make a budget that includes their costs and responsibilities for the upcoming academic year. Student Financial Services helps students to be financially prepared for university. Their office is located on the 3 rd level of the University Centre. For assistance please call 519-824- 4120x58715 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the fees and deadlines contained in this checklist are for domestic students. While some information may be useful for international students to know, specific financial information and deadlines related to international student’s needs will be mailed to them from the Office of Intercultural Affairs in the month of June.
June to August
- Get a summer job and save some money for the upcoming year.
- Apply (early) for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) at osap.gov.on.ca. Students who apply for OSAP as soon as possible.
- Learn everything you can about OSAP directly on their website.
- Upload or send signature pages to Student Financial Services. Attach any required documentation, such as proof of citizenship or proof of crown ward status, etc.
- If you do not have one, open a bank account in your name. You will need your bank account number for your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) from OSAP.
- Bring your MSFAA to a designated post office in person, along with a photo ID and proof of your social insurance (SIN) number.
- WebAdvisor opens July 23. Log in to https://webadvisor.uoguelph.ca to see your student fee statement for the upcoming year. This allows you to see how much you owe on your student account.
- Make a budget for anticipated and unexpected financial commitments.
September to April
- Financial counselling is available on a drop-in basis during the first two weeks of each semester. For the rest of the year, counsellors are available to assist with your individual financial need situation by appointment. Appointments can be booked by calling 519-824- 4120, extension 58715 or in person at Student Client Services, 3rd Floor, University Centre during regular business hours. This can include budget counselling, OSAP appeals, bursary appeals and emergency funding requests.
- Everything you need to know about deadlines, resources available to students, and common tips/tricks is available at www.uoguelph.ca/registrar/studentfinance/