International Student Advising
International Student Advisor
Hello! My name is Megan Sager, and I’m your International Student Advisor.
A little about me: I grew up in the United States, and have lived in three states and four countries (U.S., China, South Korea, and Canada)! I studied English and Communications as an undergrad, and completed my Master’s in Student Development Administration in Seattle before joining the Student Life team in 2013.
I’m here to provide guidance for full-degree undergraduate and graduate students whether you have a study permit, you’re a Canadian who’s been living abroad and now you’re here for school, you are a permanent resident, or you identify as a newcomer to Canada. Not sure if you fit in the definition of “International student?” Stop by and say hi and I can help connect you to the appropriate resources.
My role is to guide and support you in your journey throughout your time here, from the transition to Guelph, to finding your thing on campus, to helping you navigate and the various experiences that are available for you to explore your interests and goals, to helping you find your community here in a new place. I also advise the University of Guelph academic departments and student services offices understand the needs of international students.
If you are:
- Having hard time connecting with others
- Homesick, lonely or isolated
- Thinking about finding a job but don’t know where to start
- Not sure how to get Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Confused about UHIP and Student Health & Dental Plans
- Having academic, financial and/or housing issues
- Thinking of getting involved, volunteering, and joining extracurricular activities
- Feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and/or depressed
- Having hard time coping with winter blues
- Not sure how to talk to your family about life in Canada
- Not sure what to do after graduation…
Stop by and let’s talk. I know what it is like to study and live in a new culture, and you don’t have to deal with it on your own. I look forward to meeting you!
I am located in Student Life, University Centre, room 318C. Contact me at 519-824-4120 extension 53954 or by email at email@example.com to ask a question or make an appointment. I also have regular drop-in office hours where you can stop by without scheduling a meeting ahead of time, for quick questions or conversations. Check your International Student Connections newsletter for the updated schedule each semester, or stop by Student Life.