UNIV*3000 - Civic Engagement & Service Learning
UNIV*3000 - Civic Engagement and Service Learning is an academic elective offered annually in the winter semester that provides a unique opportunity for you to develop civic leadership skills and to connect your academic experience to community development. This course is designed to build on and develop your skills, knowledge and values as active citizens in your community. In addition to in-class course work, students volunteer approximately 30 hours on group projects with community organizations.
- Interactive, hands-on learning with other students from across a wide range of disciplines.
- Guest speakers with expertise in experiential learning and community development.
- Meaningful community engaged learning opportunities with community organizations and Neighbourhood Groups.
Testimonials From Students
- "Excellent opportunity to develop concrete skills for career planning; communication, planning, project management, team work."
- "This course got me a job."
- "It has fundamentally changed my outlook on life, the world, and perhaps most saliently, myself."
- "Chance to put theory into practice."
- "New, deep appreciation for community, and my role in it."
- "Opportunity to immerse in self-reflection."
- "This course completely challenged my way of thinking… in ways applicable to my everyday life."
- "Best course I ever took at UofG; I wish all students had a chance like this."
This course is open to students in any program, however, you must have completed 9.0 credits by the beginning of the course. Given the accountability to community partners, you must register for the course with a commitment to fully participate in class, group and community-learning aspects of the course. Some community projects may require a vulnerable sector criminal record check.
As the course is limited to 30 students, registration will be on a first come first served basis. Registration takes place during information sessions held in mid-October during the Winter Course Add period. For upcoming Info Sessions, please check our Events on GryphLife for Community Engagement & Global Citizenship.
Please direct any questions to Janet Doner, Manager, Community Engagement & Global Citizenship, Student Life (email@example.com).