Parents and Families Activity- Summer 2011
The Centre for New Students (CNS) will be participating in several events throughout the summer that will facilitate relationship building with the parents and families of incoming new students to the University. This is an exciting time for students and families and we look forward to getting to know and assisting you with this transition as you learn more about our community!
Our blog is regularly updated from September to April by our Parents and Families Facilitator, a senior university student leader with experience in our campus community. Alexandra Mayhew, our facilitator for the 2010-2011 year, did an excellent job of keeping families connected with our community and helping with the transition to university life. Her informative and insightful posts will remain accessible online as we know they will be useful to new members of our community. Our new facilitator will commence her blogging in September 2011.Here are a few of the ways we will be connecting with parents and families this summer:
- May Campus Tours: In the month of May, representatives from CNS host informative seminars directly before organized campus tours seven days a week. For more information, please visit the Tours Information page.
- Spring Academic Open House: CNS will host sessions for parents and families during the Spring Academic Open House activities. The “Parent Information Sessions” will be held in Rozanski Hall, May 16-19. Information about the Spring Academic Open House events is available online.
- Countdown to Guelph: Alumni Affairs and Development has partnered with CNS to bring you this exciting opportunity to launch your UofG career!. The Countdown to Guelph events provide a unique opportunity to connect with alumni in your home community who have recently graduated and those who have built a lifetime of success on their U of G experience. It's also a great way to meet other new students in order to start the all important process of forging new friendships. More information will be available online closer to the events. This event is for the whole family!Coundown to Guelph dates and locations: August 9 - Pickering;August 11 - St. Catharines; August 14 - Mississauga; August 16 - London; August 18 - Kitchener
- START for First Timers: Friday, August 12th, 2011. Students whose parents did not attend university often find that they have to explain campus life to their families at the same time that they are trying to figure it out for themselves. This one day workshop gives students and families the chance to preview university life together. We will have staff, faculty and student leaders on hand to talk about the U of G experience. Participants will learn about academic expectations, campus culture, the student experience and how to get the most out of their time at university. More information will be available in June.
- Parents and Families Handbook: New students and their families will receive a copy of the Parents and Families handbook in the mail in early August. This document provides important information about the transition to university and the role of parents and families in the support of new students at the University of Guelph. A pdf copy of last year’s document is still available on our website.